Problem to get online quotes for stock on NYSE or NASDAQ

Bernard Fay bernard.fay at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 00:12:50 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 11:57 PM, David Reiser <dbreiser at earthlink.net>wrote:

> On Jul 24, 2009, at 11:44 PM, Bernard Fay wrote:
>

> On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 11:26 PM, David Reiser <dbreiser at earthlink.net>wrote:
>
>> On Jul 24, 2009, at 10:05 PM, Bernard Fay wrote:
>>
>>  Hi,
>>>
>>> Is it possible there is a problem to get online quotes for stock listed
>>> on
>>> NYSE or NASDAQ?
>>> When I tried to get online quotes, I get the following message:
>>>
>>> Unable to retrieve quotes for these items:
>>>  NYSE:C
>>>  NYSE:BAC
>>>  NYSE:F
>>>  NYSE:AIG
>>>  NYSE:HAR
>>>  NASDAQ:NOVL
>>> Continue using only the good quotes?
>>>

>>> But I have no problem to get quotes for the TSX.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Bernard
>>>
>>>  Retrieving the Citicorp quote just worked for me. What do you have set
>> as the quote source in the security editor?
>> --
>> David Reiser
>> dbreiser at earthlink.net
>>

> I tried many quote source: Multiple: USA, Multiple: NYSE, Multiple: T. Row
> Price, etc
>
> I use gnucash 2.2.6 on Linux Debian.  What version of gnucash do you use
> and on which platform?
>
> Thanks
> Bernard
>
> I use gnucash 2.2.9 on a mac, but that shouldn't be affecting this at all
> since you're getting some quotes.
> Finance::quote is working, so it looks like something you've chosen in the setup.
> I generally use 'Single' quotesource, with Yahoo selected in the pop-up list. The only time I use something other than yahoo is if yahoo fails.
> I didn't check all your problem quotes, but the first two succeed at yahoo.
>
> Dave
> --
> David Reiser
> dbreiser at earthlink.net

As far as I can see there is nothing complex to setup.  I have attach a
screenshot of my setup for Citigroup.

I just gave a try for  Single:Yahoo and I got the same message.

One thing though...  When I created the first security for TSX, I add to
create the type TSX as it was not available.  So for the securities with
which I have problem, their type already existed.  Could this be hiding
something?  Maybe I will have to read a bit of code here.

Bernard