Client Expenses - how to account for

Marc Croteau mdcroteau at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 18:57:42 EDT 2009

Hello,

I run a small business and some months ago decided to use Gnucash for my
books.

I've had a small problem and it may be conceptual more than anything
else.  It has to do with client expenses.

I bill clients for my time (I'm a consultant) and occasionally for
expenses (such as travel, photocopying etc).  I don't seem to have a
good way to record the expenses such that I can produce a single invoice
that records both my time and my expense against a client.  This would
allow me to receive payments against an invoice and have both my time
and the expenses paid for.

Can you suggest a way of recording expenses against both a category of
expense AND a client?

Thank you in advance
Marc Croteau