Client Expenses - how to account for

Des Dougan des at douganconsulting.com
Fri Jul 31 14:05:24 EDT 2009

Marc,

On 30 Jul 2009, at 15:57, Marc Croteau wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I run a small business and some months ago decided to use Gnucash
> for my
> books.
>
> I've had a small problem and it may be conceptual more than anything
> else.  It has to do with client expenses.
>
> I bill clients for my time (I'm a consultant) and occasionally for
> expenses (such as travel, photocopying etc).  I don't seem to have a
> good way to record the expenses such that I can produce a single
> invoice
> that records both my time and my expense against a client.  This would
> allow me to receive payments against an invoice and have both my time
> and the expenses paid for.
>
> Can you suggest a way of recording expenses against both a category of
> expense AND a client?
>
> Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
> Thank you in advance
> Marc Croteau

You can create a client expense type or types in the Expenses Account
and add a line to the invoice for each type of expense you bill for.
Unless I'm missing something, it's fundamentally the same as me
billing for a hardware sale as well as the set-up consulting cost.

Regards,

Des
--

Des Dougan
Principal

Office:		604-628-5434
Cell:   	604-866-2848
Email:  	des at DouganConsulting dot com

         www.DouganConsulting.com

Peace of Mind, One Computer at a Time.