separating temporary project funding from company profit

Zhang Weiwu zhangweiwu at realss.com
Tue Jun 2 05:45:21 EDT 2009

在 2009-04-08三的 12:19 -0400,Daniel Drake写道:

> Is there an easy and clean way that I can get gnucash to separate the
> funding for the new project (which we anticipate spending in
> entirity)
> from the actual profits that are here-to-stay from the sales of stock?
> basically want an easily accessible figure that shows me how much
> profit
> has been made, a figure not including the money which we anticipate
> spending on the new project.

It is a long post that I did not easily follow.

I probably have a similar problem. We are running multiple type of
businesses and need to track the resource spent on / revenue generated
by each type of business. However each type of business need similar
expense and income accounts.

Now we have account hierarchy like "Expense:Utilities", I am thinking
splitting it into "Expense:BusinessType1:Utilities",
"Expense:BusinessType2:Utilities", "Expense:BusinessType3:Utilities"...

That means I am going to create 4 times more accounts than before. Does
my approach make sense?

I also think maybe I can add a "keyword" in each expense transaction,
and ask the report generator to generate reports by filtering these
keywords. Does this sound more reasonable than my last approach?