Large window size. Upgrade issue?

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 01:10:51 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 12:03 AM,  <query.20.kumarnospam at spamgourmet.net> wrote:
> Unfortuantely GnuCash seems to be choosing a
> very large window size that horizontally exceeds and goes over my screen
> width. The accounts page, I've only chosen two coloumns for display: Account
> name, Type. But after this there is a large coloumn with no name.
>
> I've tried minimizing, maximizing, open, close et all and none of that did
> work. I've been searching archieves of this list, and I found one close
> match:
> https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2009-May/029949.html
> The screen shot files there is exactly what I'm facing too. Just that I
> wasn't dealing quicken. I'm dealing here with a file that was created by an
> earlier version of GNUCash itself (the one that shipped with Fedora Core 6).
> Just as mentioned in that thread, when I create a new file, things are fine.
> Its only with this file that I see the problem. (I tried saving this file
> and the reopening it as well, but that didn't improve things in anyway).
>
> Would be great if someone could help me out with this. All of my financial
> transaction are piling up without being entered! (Pl note: the fonts are
> normal size as in ubuntu. i.e., 9. The display is large enough, with
> resolution 1440x900.)

I have been thinking about this issue, especially since two folks have
reported it. I have not seen this problem on my systems, though I HAVE
had some window-size strangeness since upgrading to Ubuntu 9.04.

In my case I had the OPPOSITE problem -- I was using a new 23" LCD
monitor and an old CRT together, and the windows would maximize at
about 2/3 the size of the wide screen and I couldn't move windows any
farther to the right at all.

For me this problem went away with some dedicated "fiddling" with the
screen resolution tool then restarting X by logging out and back in --
I didn't have to add anything to /etc/X11/xorg.conf to fix it (though
that's what it acted like). Both monitors have worked properly for
over a month now.