Large window size. Upgrade issue?

query.20.kumarnospam at spamgourmet.net query.20.kumarnospam at spamgourmet.net
Wed Jun 3 01:56:44 EDT 2009

People,
Thanks for all your replies.
I've been trying to post this since yesterday night, but for some reason the
mail doesn't
seem to make it to the list. Hopefully this one will:

I thought I might have to do it the hardway and had downloaded the source
for 2.2.6 to
see what I could, but it turned out to be much simpler.

I was able to isolate the issue and fixup my accounts.
The issue was:
I had some mutual funds for which I had given the entire funds name in the
SYMBOL field.
Normally for stocks I give the stock ticker symbol but for mutual funds I'd
just give the name.
To correct the situation all that one needs to do is pan the window to reach
the tools menu
and then select security editor and reduce the length of the symbol
involved. After this the window
becomes resizable and everything is normal.
(As a sidenote, it will be nice if GnuCash fixed this up so that we are not
allowed to create such
long symbols, or fix up the display so that it doesn't cause the window to
extend beyond the monitor.
Its pretty easy to repro this issue, just create a new file and add an
account of type mutual fund
and when adding the symbol, enter as many characters as it would allow. Then
save the file
and reopen, you should see the issue).

Regards,
Kumar.