Tools -> Close Book

Colin Scott gnucash at double-bars.net
Tue Jun 9 19:14:00 EDT 2009

> Wow, didn't realize such a small feature would be so popular!   Let
> alone be the deciding factor in choosing GnuCash.

Hey, don't get too big-headed - it was only one of the reason!  ;-)

The previous system being used by my predecessor as treasurer had a year
end process, though I never quite worked out what it did.  But what it
certainly *didn't* do was clear out all the income and expense
transactions for the period ...

> Just be careful about reports...

Yeah - they've certainly given me a couple of nasty moments!  :-)

However, having worked out how to make the results properly presentable
(don't ask, you *really* don't want to know!) I reckon I've got them sort
of cracked.  The remaining irritations I think I can cope with now I know
about them, but if GnuCash is to compete as a system for the enterprise
(translation: make business sense even where there isn't a resident geek
to keep it running!) then some of these things do need to be fixed.  The
interesting question, though, is what is the *purpose* of Gnucash?  What
is its target market?  What are it's long-term objectives?

Colin