sql backend - guid

David Goodenough david.goodenough at linkchoose.co.uk
Thu Jun 18 05:01:23 EDT 2009

On Thursday 18 June 2009, marcus.wolschon at googlemail.com wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 08:27:54 -0400, Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:
> > Each object needs to have a stable GUID, and the SQL and XML need to
> > remain equivalent.
>
> Could you please explain that in more detail?
> I thought the Database-backend was a replacement
> for the XML-backend. Why would you still need the
> XML-files?
Well I would have thought that it would be useful as a backup mechanism,
and also as a way to send a file off to the auditors at year end along with
a copy of GnuCash so that they can read it.  Giving them remote access
to the database would not be sensible, and asking them to set up a
database version might be beyond them.  For a small company only
a single person is going to be working on it at the auditor, so a shared
DB is overkill.

David