Cash Flow report vs. Income Statement

Ulrike Fischer gnucash at nililand.de
Thu Jun 18 13:42:54 EDT 2009

Am Thu, 18 Jun 2009 21:35:10 +1000 schrieb Elizabeth Dodd:

>> I have nevertheless spent a good part of my career writing
>> manuals to explain complex subjects geared to people with the
>> intelligence level of the average 12 year old.

> This is a good starting point, to describe the level at which the user
> documentation should be aimed.
>
> This list has seen an alteration in the type of question since the release of
> the windows port.
> There have been more questions on conversion tools and a lot more questions
> which relate to bookkeeping methods.
> We should appreciate that our new users in the windows world have opened our
> eyes to a different set of queries, and understand that the documentation
> format can be quite foreign to them (Linux users, just remember the first man
> page you read).

As a windows user I didn't find the format of the documentation
foreign. I had more problems with some assumptions about money
transactions e.g. tax concepts or all the allusion to checks -- I
haven't filled a check for years (ok that was a lie, I have used
one recently as a gift and the man at my bank had to go to the
cellar to find the blanks).

And while it is fine if a documentation starts at the "intelligence
level of a 12 year old", I prefer them when they don't stop there. I
would really like some thorough, detailled, complicated descriptions
for a grown-up e.g. about the various columns in the account tab,
what happens if you close a book, how the business part actually
works, or what actually are the effects if you change the type of an
account from say expense to income.

--
Ulrike Fischer