UK. VAT return

David Goodenough david.goodenough at linkchoose.co.uk
Fri Jun 19 17:52:18 EDT 2009

On Friday 19 June 2009, Rüdiger Wolf wrote:
> I also need to get my head around how to do United Kingdom VAT accounts.
>
> In the UK there are some additional ways to do VAT returns.
> Flat Rate and/or Cash based.
>
> I have started documenting my attempts at this at
> http://gnucash.wikia.com
>
> Regards
> Rudiger

I notice that in your setting up tax tables entry that you suggest having
two different rates, one at 15% and the other at 17.5%.  This seems to
show up a limitation in GnuCash.  Most accounting packages seem to
have a means to set a rate called STD (standard), and then entries
which have dates attached to them so that you specify when a new
rate starts and the system finds the right one.  Otherwise if you have
products which you defined as having 15% VAT when the rate changes
you have to go around changing all of them to 17.5%.

David