Using GnuCash on Linux and Windows

Andrew Greig algreig at bigpond.net.au
Wed Jun 24 06:42:23 EDT 2009

> On Wed, 24 Jun 2009, Maf. King wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday 24 June 2009 08:08:57 Nestor Stura wrote:
> >> Dear all,
> >> Due to my customers requirements I need to work with Linux and Windows on
> >> my Notebook.
> >>
> >> I carry my business accounts on the Linux installation.
> >>
> >> Recently I have installed the Windows version hoping to access to GnuCash
> >> from either side without the need to retart my PC. Nevertheless, I could no
> >> find the way to set a specific location for my Gnucash files so they can be
> >> seen and modify.
> >>
> >> Do you know if there is a solution for this issue?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance.
> >>

> > Hi Nestor,
> >
> > If Windows can see the linux filesystem, the two versions of GC should be able
> > to share the data quite happily.
> >
> > You may get on better with the datafile on a windows partition, and view that
> > from linux, but YMMV.
> >
> > HTH,
> > Maf.

On Wed, 2009-06-24 at 11:08 +0200, Stephen J. Gowdy wrote:
Or create a shared VFAT partition.

That's a a good idea, but if Nestor is using XP or Vista he could just
make his Windows partition the data repository and Linux can read from
and write to an NTFS disk.  And the same file would be available for GC
under Windows.  Then again, he could just wipe Windows completely,
install Linux for the whole drive and then load Windows under Virtual
Box - the end of dual booting has arrived (some time ago).

Andrew Greig
Melbourne, Australia