Importing Price History

Robin Chattopadhyay robinraymn at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 08:14:52 EDT 2009

Hello-

I have recently started using Gnucash 2.2.9 on Windows. I would like to --
if possible -- download historical prices for the securities in my 401k.
Using the Finance:Quote/Yahoo unfortunately won't work for me because none
of the investments are publicly traded.

I have what I believe to be a properly formatted QIF file of the price
history (I made it myself, so it could be wrong) and I attempted to import
it using the QIF Import druid, but that doesn't seem to have worked.

Question 1: Is the QIF import process designed to handle price history or
does it just ignore it when it sees that data?
Question 2: If the answer to Q1 is no, the XML file seems easy enough to
comprehend, if I can generate GUIDs separately from Gnucash, can I just add
the price history to the XML file?

Or, is there an easier way that I'm overlooking?

This is what the QIF file looks like:
!Type:Prices
"DSRF1",28.4462,"1/3/2000"
"DSRF1",28.4513,"1/4/2000"