Smart way of using imported data?

Greg Bell gbell_spamless at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 24 18:47:58 EDT 2009

Hi Helpers,

I like to keep track of my checking account activity on my own - eg.
when I write a check I put that transaction into the correct account in
GnuCash.  I then like to make sure my records match the bank's.

So how should I use the QIF from my bank?

Solutions:

1) Let GnuCash put that imported information into another account, then
reconcile my manually entered transactions?
    Problem:  Then I'd have double the assets - those in my manually
entered checking account + those in my imported checking account.

2) Let GnuCash put that imported information into my manually entered
checking account, letting it detect matches.
   Problem: Its really the non-matches that I'm interested in.

Thanks for any time spared.
Greg