Setting up equipment assets for new business

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Sun Jun 28 16:32:48 EDT 2009

>Now I'm off to google some more for how to add items to inventory which
>were not directly purchased (no offsetting cr to cash). Google is not
>helping so far - lots of stuff for huge corporations and special rules
>- FIFO, accrual, etc. Haven't found anything relating to a little guy
>who manufactures his own inventory in his garage.
>
>My problem is that I do have a basic understanding of double entry
>accounting, but I've never had to design a system for a business
>before. That's a lot more challenging than just understanding that you
>debit an asset account to raise the balance.

That's not particularly hard. You put this inventory down on the books
for what it COST you. There were materials used, yes? You don't add in
for your time, though this is precisely where a "second set of books"
might be a good idea (even though your own time isn't an expense for tax
purposes in analyzing your business might be a good idea of being able
to determine how your business WOULD HAVE been faring had the goods been
produced by purchased labor). In your case you get to "draw" from the
profits as this inventory gets sold.

Might I suggest that you might perhaps need to obtain learning materials
along the lines of "accounting for the small business", "accounting for
the sole proprietorship", etc. Before the days of Google people were
able to obtain information like that via a medium known as books.
Strange as it might seem in this computer age, those old fashioned
things still exist. Use the Internet to search out potentially useful
titles. For example, your local library system might have a searchable
catalog which you can go after "by subject material" and then once you
have found some promising titles let you request the books.

Michael