Setting up equipment assets for new business

davelist at mac.com davelist at mac.com
Sun Jun 28 16:51:19 EDT 2009

On Jun 28, 2009, at 4:32 PM, Mike or Penny Novack wrote:

>> Now I'm off to google some more for how to add items to inventory
>> which
>> were not directly purchased (no offsetting cr to cash). Google is not
>> helping so far - lots of stuff for huge corporations and special
>> rules
>> - FIFO, accrual, etc. Haven't found anything relating to a little guy
>> who manufactures his own inventory in his garage.
>>
>> My problem is that I do have a basic understanding of double entry
>> accounting, but I've never had to design a system for a business
>> before. That's a lot more challenging than just understanding that
>> you
>> debit an asset account to raise the balance.
>>
> That's not particularly hard. You put this inventory down on the
> books for what it COST you. There were materials used, yes? You
> don't add in for your time, though this is precisely where a "second
> set of books" might be a good idea (even though your own time isn't
> an expense for tax purposes in analyzing your business might be a
> good idea of being able to determine how your business WOULD HAVE
> been faring had the goods been produced by purchased labor). In your
> case you get to "draw" from the profits as this inventory gets sold.
>
> Might I suggest that you might perhaps need to obtain learning
> materials along the lines of "accounting for the small business",
> "accounting for the sole proprietorship", etc. Before the days of
> Google people were able to obtain information like that via a medium
> known as books. Strange as it might seem in this computer age, those
> old fashioned things still exist. Use the Internet to search out
> potentially useful titles. For example, your local library system
> might have a searchable catalog which you can go after "by subject
> material" and then once you have found some promising titles let you
> request the books.
>
> Michael

Another suggestion I would make is to meet with the accountant you
plan to have do the taxes for the business (unless of course, you
intend to do them yourself). Paying him/her for a few hours of his/her
time upfront to help you set up everything up so he/she has everything
they need to do your taxes in the way that will make it easy for them
will save you hassles down the road.

Dave