Invoices

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Jun 29 02:11:20 EDT 2009

I have a rule for my business: Any communication to a vendor or
internally in the business can be scribbled on whatever is handy, but
if it goes to a customer it has to look perfect. I may not be classy,
but by gosh I'm going to *look* classy.

So GnuCash's invoices are letting me down. But maybe I have missed some
possibilities, so here are a few questions:

1) I set the font in Edit > Preferences > Printing, but GnuCash is
still using the ugliest font ever designed for the invoices. I can't
find the setting for invoices. I hope that miserable font is not
hard-wired. Can I change it? Also, is there any way to set the point
size differently for various sections of the invoice?

2) It is printing my logo at about 2.5 cm from the left edge of the
paper, but the rest of the invoice is indented about 8 cm. As a result
the columns are not very wide. Furthermore, the customer address is not
going to fit my window envelopes. Can I adjust the margins?

3) I can't figure out how to make it stop printing a due date. I'd
rather put something like n/30 in the terms, or nothing at all and then
state the terms in the Notes box. I unchecked the box for Billing
Terms, but it still displays a due date. And I can't leave the due date
blank when I create the invoice. is there a way to suppress the due
date, at least when printing?

4) I read the documentation on changing the starting invoice number,
but I am unclear whether editing the XML file will allow me to prefix
the invoice number with the year, like "2009-."