Supplier Credit Question

Des Dougan des at douganconsulting.com
Tue Jun 30 12:26:09 EDT 2009

Hi Derek,

On 29 Jun 2009, at 07:08, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Des Dougan <des at douganconsulting.com> writes:
>
>> I have entered a credit for returned equipment in the Payables
>> register, with my Expenses:Computer Hardware account as the transfer
>> account. So far so good; however, if I now go to pay another invoice
>
> Did you do so by hand?  Or by using "Process Payment"?  If the
> former, don't do it that way as it wont connect to the rest of
> the transactions and wont be noticed.
>
>>> From the same supplier, in this case I don't want to actually
>>> transfer
>> funds from my chequing account, as there is enough in the credit at
>> the vendor to meet the outstanding bill - so how should I deal with
>> this situation? Should I set up an asset account for the vendor
>> credit
>> and draw it down? What would happen if some was coming from there but
>> the remainder from chequing?
>
> You'd need multiple "process payments" to get it to come from multiple
> places.  There's no way to do it as a standalone split transaction.
>
> However, if you use PP to handle the credit up front then it will
> all just work.

Thanks for your response - I hadn't considered using Process Payment
with the credit. Do I first then have to create a bill with the credit
value?

Thanks,

Des

--

Des Dougan
Principal

Office:		604-628-5434
Cell:   	604-866-2848
Email:  	des at DouganConsulting dot com

         www.DouganConsulting.com

Peace of Mind, One Computer at a Time.