Supplier Credit Question

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Jun 29 10:08:08 EDT 2009

Hi,

Des Dougan <des at douganconsulting.com> writes:

> I have entered a credit for returned equipment in the Payables
> register, with my Expenses:Computer Hardware account as the transfer
> account. So far so good; however, if I now go to pay another invoice

Did you do so by hand?  Or by using "Process Payment"?  If the
former, don't do it that way as it wont connect to the rest of
the transactions and wont be noticed.

>> From the same supplier, in this case I don't want to actually
>> transfer
> funds from my chequing account, as there is enough in the credit at
> the vendor to meet the outstanding bill - so how should I deal with
> this situation? Should I set up an asset account for the vendor credit
> and draw it down? What would happen if some was coming from there but
> the remainder from chequing?

You'd need multiple "process payments" to get it to come from multiple
places.  There's no way to do it as a standalone split transaction.

However, if you use PP to handle the credit up front then it will
all just work.