Tax-Related Checkbox Grayed Out

J. Alex Aycinena alex.aycinena at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 14:03:59 EST 2009

> "David T." <sunfish62 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Actually, it's not obvious--especially since there's the check box in the first place. I believe the check box got disabled when it was found that one could set this check box, and not set a tax line entry, and when you ran the TXF report, you'd get errors.
>
> I think of that check box as simply an indicator that an account will appear in a tax report...

This is correct; the change was made to avoid the errors on the report
and it was an easy change to make. But it was realized that it could
be misleading so we added a note explaining this; if you hover the
mouse pointer over the grayed-out check-box for a second, the note
will appear. I guess this note isn't so obvious either, though, but it
was a quick way to sort-of solve the problem.

By the way, if anyone is trying to use the tax report, or the TXF
export, for their 2008 US taxes, there are some serious problems with
the version in the currently released 2.2 series of Gnucash that have
been fixed in 'trunk', the development branch, but never backported to
2.2.  It is easy for anyone wanting to use the newer report to do so
by getting it themselves and putting it in there existing version of
Gnucash - just ask and I can tell you how.

Alex