How do I specify the fonts I want to use?

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 3 20:45:42 EST 2009

On Mar 3, 2009, at 1:42 PM, Steve Drach wrote:

>> The answer is supposed to be "install gnome-control-center and use
>> the Appearance applet to set your default application font for
>> gnome". The fink package name for g-c-c is control-center. But it
>> is still launched by the command "gnome-control-center".
>
> Thank you for the response.  I notice you don't mention .Xdefaults
> or xfonts.  Anything I can do with them to override g-c-c and friends?

Quite possibly, since the change that made the font bigger was an X
change, not gnome/gconf. If .Xdefaults gives you a way to mess with
the assumed screen dpi, that might at least give you a handle on
making it smaller. I've never used .Xdefaults, so I have no clue what
can be done with them.

The other stop-gap is if "fink dumpinfo -fallversions dbus" shows that
you have a binary of version 1.2.6-something of dbus, you could try
installing that by 'fink install dbus-1.2.6-something", logging out,
logging back in, and then trying gnome-control-center. The older dbus
had an x11 stub in it that smoothed over some of the gnome
communication. There were some recent security changes to dbus (I
think) in addition to the conversion to launchd as the launch
mechanism for dbus, so if you're paranoid, you might want to check
those out.

Dave
--
David Reiser