Categorisation of transactions

Zdenek Muzik zdenek.z.muzik at quick.cz
Wed Mar 4 13:47:29 EST 2009

Hi

I am looking for a way to categorise transactions in GNUCash and cannot
find anything on the topic in the documentation.
I am basically looking for a possibility to assign attributes to
transactions that could be used in searches and reporting.
Examples of such attributes would be Payee, Project, etc. Ideally there
would be an editable list for each attribute so that it would be
possible to use a drop-down list while entering the transaction.
The only way there seems to exist is splitting accounts into
sub-accounts which is extremely unpractical for certain use cases - e.g.
attributes that may be used across a big number of accounts, temporary
attributes (e.g. projects) etc. I think that about three-four fields
like that would be enough.

I appologise if I have missed something obvious, but I really spent
quite some time on the documentation.

Best regards

Zdenek