Importing Journal Entries

Paul Schwartz pmjs1115 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 5 11:52:04 EST 2009

--- On Thu, 3/5/09, Andrew Sackville-West <andrew at swclan.homelinux.org> wrote:

From: Andrew Sackville-West <andrew at swclan.homelinux.org>
Subject: Re: Importing Journal Entries
To: gnucash-user at gnucash.org
Date: Thursday, March 5, 2009, 8:52 AM

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 08:32:08PM -0600, Vaughn Grisham wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm hoping to move my company's accounting to gnuCash. We have a payroll
> service from whom we are currently getting a comma delimited text file to
> import our payroll liabilities and expenses into our accounts by way of
> creating importing a journal entry.
>
> Is there a way to import a journal entry from a text file?
>
> We currently have to open our text file journal transaction in a spreadsheet
> to verify that the debits and credits balance, so it would be easy for me to
> save the file as another format (csv, txt, xls, etc) as needed.

I don't know the state of the csv importer (I think it's dead at the
moment), but if you can massage the file into a qif, then you could
certainly import it that way.

There is the calc2qif and xl2qif converters which will create a qif file from the csv that has been opened in a spreadsheet. I use the calc2qif and can vouch for its working.

Paul