Sub Categories in real savings accounts

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Sat Mar 14 17:15:35 EDT 2009

On Saturday 14 March 2009 19:15:56 M Prindle wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I wanted to ask to see if I'm organizing one of my accounts correctly.
> I have a savings account that I want to split the money in logically.
> What I did was add a sub category to provide the split.  When deposits
> are made to the savings account part of the money is logically deposited
> in to the main account and the remainder is put in the sub account.
>  From what I can tell this is working since my total balance for the
> savings account matches what my online account shows.  So, is this the
> correct way to split the money in an account?  Will there be any issues
> when I go to reconcile this account?

Hi Mike,

IANAA, but that seems a fine approach to me.  I've successfully used it in the
past.  The only thing to note with the reconcile is to ensure that
the "include subaccounts" (i forget the exact wording) checkbox is selected.

> One other thing, I did a sub category transfer from the main account to
> the sub category.  Will this cause any problems when I go to reconcile?

I believe that you will see this txn in both sides of the reconcile dialogue.
Clearly it won't show on your statement, so you'll have to decide whether to
reconcile the two matching halves, or leave them unreconciled for all
eternity.  So long as you are consistent, I don't see that it matters either
way.

HTH,
Maf.