Sub Categories in real savings accounts

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at swclan.homelinux.org
Sat Mar 14 19:30:52 EDT 2009

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 09:15:35PM +0000, Maf. King wrote:
> On Saturday 14 March 2009 19:15:56 M Prindle wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I wanted to ask to see if I'm organizing one of my accounts correctly.
> > I have a savings account that I want to split the money in logically.
> > What I did was add a sub category to provide the split.
> IANAA, but that seems a fine approach to me.  I've successfully used it in the
> past.  The only thing to note with the reconcile is to ensure that
> the "include subaccounts" (i forget the exact wording) checkbox is selected.

I use this approach as well and it works just fine. Note that during
reconcile, multi-split txns will look a little funny, and it can be
confusing to figure out that these 5 splits total up to be the on txn
on the bank statement. But, it becomes clear when you click to
reconcile one split and all five get marked at the same time ;)

> > One other thing, I did a sub category transfer from the main account to
> > the sub category.  Will this cause any problems when I go to reconcile?
> >
> I believe that you will see this txn in both sides of the reconcile dialogue.
> Clearly it won't show on your statement, so you'll have to decide whether to
> reconcile the two matching halves, or leave them unreconciled for all
> eternity.  So long as you are consistent, I don't see that it matters either
> way.

this kind of txn will not show on the bank statement, so what you do
with it is probably immaterial. I can't stand a bunch of unreconciled
stuff, so I check them all right off...