Tax-related checkbox

Donald Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 08:01:36 EDT 2009

I'm aware that there was a previous thread on the greying-out of the
Tax-related checkbox in the account-editing dialog. I just

- updated to 2.2.9, courtesy Gentoo
- ran across the greyed-out checkbox and had the reaction "Why can't I
control 'Tax-related' for this account?"
- remembered and reviewed the previous thread

Would someone knowledgeable please explain the rationale for moving control
of the tax-related atrribute to this new menu-item/dialog and leaving the
checkbox on the account-editing dialog, greyed-out?

It seems to me that the old way was fine and that this is a step backwards.
And, with this new method, I think the use of the greyed-out checkbox to
indicate the presence or absence of the attribute is a particularly bad
idea. The greyed-out checkbox is still grouped with the 'placeholder' and
'hidden' attributes that you can control from the edit-account dialog,
suggesting that you can't control 'tax-related' for the account you are
editing, which is not true. What is true is that we now have two methods of
setting/unsetting account attributes, one for 'placeholder' and 'hidden',
another for 'tax-related', without a suggestion on the edit-account dialog
that that's the case. I understand the desire to indicate the state of the
tax-related attribute on the account-editing dialog, but it should be done
in a different manner than the 'placeholder' and 'hidden' attributes, since
controlling the attribute is now done differently (e.g., "This account is
tax-related" or "This account is not tax-related", no checkbox, not greyed
out, and maybe a mention that the attribute can be changed via Edit-Tax
Options).

I do not think this is an improvement, in terms of ease-of-use and UI
consistency, but perhaps there's a good reason for it that I'm missing, so
I'd like to know what the thinking was on this.

/Don