L. J. Kiest questions

Cam Ellison cam at ellisonet.ca
Wed Mar 25 19:08:40 EDT 2009

   L. J. Kiest wrote:

Hello,
I devoted a couple of hours screwing with your website, trying to obtain
a copy of Gnucash.  Besides a bunch of techno talk, I didn't get anything.
What is badly needed is a can opener on your site which cuts thru the
verbage and downloads a working copy of Gnucash.
Assuming that your program sucessfully replaces Quicken, it is worth
$100 or more to my company.  *_Name your price!!!  It's worth a try._*
Inside the website is an indication that Gnucash can work with Linux.  I
am also trying to set up a business computer using Linux in place of
Windows.

Please be advised that I am a techno Luddite.  More features beyond
those essential for existence just clutter my mind.  My company takes my
full effort,
I don't have time to read manuals.  If intuitive doesn't get it, it's
worthless.  By the way, that applies to cell phones also.

I am a streetwise but untrained computer user for over 20 years-  it is
the base of my various businesses.  123 and Quicken 99 have been my
accounting combo.
Quicken is so rigid that I am always doing workarounds to get where I
need to be.  The newer Quickens are meant for a somebody with a lot of
time to waste.

   First off, it's free.
   Second, though most of what you need to know to get Gnucash up and
   running is intuitively clear, you will probably need to use the
   manual.  I never did until I'd been using it for a while.  Fortunately,
   it's also pretty clear.  Asking questions on this list also helps, but
   you have to be prepared to do your part.
   The other thing that you will need to understand, that is not a part of
   Quicken, is the concept of double-entry accounting.  If you don't want
   to go there, then hire a bookkeeper.
   The web page says this:

    Getting GnuCash

   GnuCash 2.2.9 can be downloaded from gnucash.org or sourceforge.net. It
   is available as source code. For the Microsoft Windows operating system
   there is a self-installing setup program which includes all necessary
   additional libraries.

   To install GnuCash on other platforms, users will need Gnome 2, guile,
   and slib. Neither the currently used swig nor the previously used
   g-wrap packages are needed anymore when compiling from tarball or when
   installing a binary.
     * [1]http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=192
       (Source code and Windows binary)
     * [2]http://www.gnucash.org/pub/gnucash/sources/stable/ (Source code
       only)

   That means you need to click on the sourceforge link.  That takes you
   to the Sourceforge site.  You will see three options.  Take the middle
   one - the Download button is on the right.  That will take you to
   another page listing the available files.  Take the second one down -
   that's the one that ends in setup.exe.  Click on that - it will
   download, and do the usual Windows thing.
   Come back with more questions.  As I said - comprehending the beauty of
   double-entry accounting is essential.
   HTH
   Cam