Tax-related checkbox

Donald Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 07:19:13 EDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 6:51 PM, J. Alex Aycinena
<alex.aycinena at gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]
> > account-editing dialog, the account would appear on the Tax Report (in
> > black, so would not have been exported had I done a TXF export). I'm
> > suggesting that we go back to that, but retain the tooltip or some other
> way
> > of alerting people that if they want to set tax categories in order to
> use
> > TXF export, they need to go to Edit->Tax Options.
> >
> > /Don
> >

> The problem was that before, when you checked the tax-related flag on
> the account maintenance dialog, it didn't set a default; if you
> checked it through Edit->Tax Options, it did. The old (current) report
> presents tax data in an account hierarchy format with no tax category
> information provided; the only way you saw the tax category view was
> through the export in your tax program - no audit trail of any real
> value. It also has a number of other serious problems. The new report
> (in trunk, not backported to the 2.2 series) presents the data sorted
> by tax category so you can see what the export will be before you
> actually do the export. It also provides a complete audit trail for
> the amounts for each tax category all the way back to the transaction
> deatil and even including currency conversions, if applicable. Even if
> you don't actually do an export to a tax program, this is a much more
> useful view. In the old report, if an account was flagged but no
> category was assigned it probably didn't matter since it could be
> included and properly displayed due to the account hierarchy format it
> presented (I don't actually remember exactly how it handled this case
> and can't test it since I can't set that condition any more due to the
> greying of the flag). With the new report, an account not assigned to
> a meaningful tax category is useless so an account with either the
> flag set and no tax category assignment (like would happen through the
> account maintenance dialog but can't now) or with the flag set and a
> default category (as can happen now if you just check the flag but
> don't actually bother to make an assignment in Edit->Tax Options) is
> equally bad.
>
> So Don, while you certainly can improve how it is presented/displayed
> etc. in the account edit dialog, changing it so that you can set the
> flag and then having it just set a default category seems to me like
> it would be effort with no return. Having the flag open the Tax
> Options dialog would be more involved but make more sense. Just
> changing the presentation on the account edit dialog to make more
> sense and to clearly direct people to the other dialog might be the
> easiest thing to do that adds value.
>
> I suggest you download and look at the new report before making any
> changes. If you download and build trunk, it's there. Alternatively
> you can easily just download the report and temporarily replace the
> existing one in your current release of gnucash to check it out.

I was not aware of the "new report". It may have been mentioned, but not
described as fully as you have above (thanks).  So what you are suggesting
above makes perfect sense and I will have a look at it (after I get my taxes
done :-). Said another way, all of this discussion has taken place in the
absence of knowledge, at least on my part, of a major change in the
pipeline. I'll get back with comments, if any, after I've seen the new
report.

/Don