Advanced Portfolio and basis calculation - errors in calculations or errors in data entry?

Charles Day cedayiv at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 19:35:20 EDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 4:07 PM, Pierre Constantineau <
jpconstantineau at gmail.com> wrote:

> Frank,
>
> Thanks for the input.  I did as you indicated and even dug up my tax
> statements to figure out my actual dates, costs and income
> implications. I updated the transactions to the following (updated
> dates and price amounts):

> 2006-08-03   Purchase    Stock XYZ    Shares 1700  Price 3.31
>  Buy 5627.00
>                                     Commissions
>                      Buy     51.00
>                                     Cash
>                                              Sell 5678.00
> 2008-01-31  Incentive      Stock XYZ    Shares 823   Price 3.31
>   Buy 2724.13
>                                     Income: Incentive
>                                          Sell 2724.13
> 2008-06-19   Options Purch. Stock XYZ   Shares 1500  Price 4.62      Buy
> 6930.00
>                                     Cash
>                                               Sell 6165.00
>                                     Income: Options
>                                          Sell  765.00
>
> This now make probably more sense from an accounting perspective.
> However, on the report side, I still get pretty odd answers...
>
> Shares: 4023
> Price: 2.00$
> Basis:15280.96                     (eh??? WTF)
> Value: 8046.00                      (no surprise)
> Money In: 11843.00               (Adds up to all the cash I put in -
> no surprise)
> Money Out: 0.00                   (no surprise - I haven't sold anything
> yet)
> Realized Gain: 3437.96         (eh??? WTF shouln't this be 2724.13 +
> 765.00 - 51.00 = 3438.13)
> Unrealized Gain:(7234.96)
> Total Gain: (3797.00)              (no surprise)
> Return: -32.06%                     (ouch but no surprise)
> Brokerage Fees: 51.00           (no surprise)
>
> Where are those few pennies coming from?  I tried to find an odd
> transaction but that is all the transactions I have in that one file.
> Is there something in my entry or is there something else?

It looks to me like there is some unnecessary rounding going on. Andrew S-W
knows this report best. Andrew, maybe sum-basis shouldn't round until the
very end? Something like that? (Sorry, I don't have time to test or fix my
theory at present.)

-Charles