Advanced Portfolio and basis calculation - errors in calculations or errors in data entry?

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at swclan.homelinux.org
Fri Mar 27 11:00:35 EDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 04:07:42PM -0700, Pierre Constantineau wrote:
> Frank,
>
> Thanks for the input.  I did as you indicated and even dug up my tax
> statements to figure out my actual dates, costs and income
> implications. I updated the transactions to the following (updated
> dates and price amounts):

> 2006-08-03   Purchase    Stock XYZ    Shares 1700  Price 3.31
>  Buy 5627.00
>                                      Commissions
>                       Buy     51.00
>                                      Cash
>                                               Sell 5678.00
> 2008-01-31  Incentive      Stock XYZ    Shares 823   Price 3.31
>    Buy 2724.13
>                                      Income: Incentive
>                                           Sell 2724.13
> 2008-06-19   Options Purch. Stock XYZ   Shares 1500  Price 4.62      Buy 6930.00
>                                      Cash
>                                                Sell 6165.00
>                                      Income: Options
>                                           Sell  765.00
>
> This now make probably more sense from an accounting perspective.
> However, on the report side, I still get pretty odd answers...

hmmm... it's been a while since I played with that report (and loathe
going back to it...) but I seen to recall that currently it can't
handle direct-from-income-account transactions. If you move the
Income:Options and Income:incentive funds into an asset account (call
it Suspense, or Funds_in_transit or whatever) then it should make more
sense.

> Shares: 4023
> Price: 2.00$
> Basis:15280.96                     (eh??? WTF)

I think this comes from the use of the Income accounts above.

> Value: 8046.00                      (no surprise)
> Money In: 11843.00               (Adds up to all the cash I put in -
> no surprise)
> Money Out: 0.00                   (no surprise - I haven't sold anything yet)
> Realized Gain: 3437.96         (eh??? WTF shouln't this be 2724.13 +
> 765.00 - 51.00 = 3438.13)

As Charles said, surely rounding problems. Honestly I've never gotten
a handle on how rounding affects the data structures for this
report. Sorry.