Advanced Portfolio Money Out

Dennis Muhlestein djmuhlestein at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 08:39:59 EDT 2009

I found (GC 2.2.9/Mac OSX w/ fink) that if I sell part of a stock for an
expense, the amount is used in the Money Out column on the Advanced Report.

Example
Some Expense | x amount
Some Stock   | ........ | x amount

Report
Some Stock   | Money Out x | ....

Seems straight forward enough.

Now, if I sell part of two stocks to make the expense, the figure is
used in the realized gains column instead.  It gets worse, the amount of
the expense is added to the broker fees column of ALL stocks involved in
the transaction.

Example
Some Expense | x amount
Some Stock A | ........ | 1/2 x
Some Stock B | ........ | 1/2 x

Resulting Advanced Portfolio

Stock   | ..... | Money Out |  Fees
A       | ..... |         0 |  x
Total                     0 |  2x

I'm not sure whether or not the amount should be an expense or a money
out value.  I just see that with one stock involved it is a money out
and with two stocks involved it is in realized gains/broker fees.  I am
quite sure that the fee shouldn't be added to each stock though.

Anyway, I don't know if there are any bugs filed on this type of thing
already or if perhaps I've missed something on how things ought to be
entered.

-Dennis