data file crashes gnucash

Donald Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 14:31:27 EDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 2:05 PM, Lenore Horner
<LenoreHorner at sbcglobal.net>wrote:

> On Mar 30, 2009, at 09:42 , Donald Allen wrote:
>

> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 10:14 AM, Lenore Horner <
> LenoreHorner at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> I had a similar problem a while ago.  The solution was to unzip the file
>> to xml format and then use Safari (or probably Firefox too) to open the
>> file.  Safari then complained about bad xml and spat out - in nearly
>> unreadable format - the file up to the error.  That let be figure out where
>> the error was.  I never figured out what the problem was:  I ended up
>> deleting the offending text field and retyping the same text and it worked
>> after that.
>

> Assuming only the main file is affected (it wasn't clear from the original
> post), rather than hand-editing that file, why not use the normal,
> documented gnucash recovery procedure -- open the latest .xac file and then
> import the subsequent .log files?
>
> At least in my case, it was easier to hand-edit the file than reapply
> several months worth of .log files.  I don't know why old files ended up
> corrupted, but they did.

Apparently his situation is nothing like yours, nor is it what I thought it
might be (just the current file corrupted), so neither of our solutions
applies. It sounds like he and his Linux distribution have somehow conspired
to produce a non-working gnucash package.

/Don