data file crashes gnucash

genericmaillists at gmail.com genericmaillists at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 14:46:42 EDT 2009

On Monday 30 March 2009 14:31:27 Donald Allen wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 2:05 PM, Lenore Horner
>
> <LenoreHorner at sbcglobal.net>wrote:
> > On Mar 30, 2009, at 09:42 , Donald Allen wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 10:14 AM, Lenore Horner <
> >
> > LenoreHorner at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> >> I had a similar problem a while ago.  The solution was to
> >> unzip the file to xml format and then use Safari (or probably
> >> Firefox too) to open the file.  Safari then complained about
> >> bad xml and spat out - in nearly unreadable format - the file
> >> up to the error.  That let be figure out where the error was.
> >> I never figured out what the problem was:  I ended up deleting
> >> the offending text field and retyping the same text and it
> >> worked after that.
> >
> > Assuming only the main file is affected (it wasn't clear from
> > the original post), rather than hand-editing that file, why not
> > use the normal, documented gnucash recovery procedure -- open
> > the latest .xac file and then import the subsequent .log files?
> >
> > At least in my case, it was easier to hand-edit the file than
> > reapply several months worth of .log files.  I don't know why
> > old files ended up corrupted, but they did.
>
> Apparently his situation is nothing like yours, nor is it what I
> thought it might be (just the current file corrupted), so neither
> of our solutions applies. It sounds like he and his Linux
> distribution have somehow conspired to produce a non-working
> gnucash package.

Its all good now. That was the first time in about 6 years I have
had a problem with gnucash. There wasn't anything wrong with my
file. There was something wrong with the build of guncash but it
got fixed in less than 4 hours after the distribution team was
notified. Commercial proprietary software can't do it that fast.

--
http://www.wowgreen.net/11324