Imported invoices and other problems...

defaria Andrew at DeFaria.com
Sat May 2 01:49:16 EDT 2009

Charles Day wrote:
> Keep in mind that the QIF format is almost completely undocumented. To
> support importing of QIF invoices, we'd first have to know what that even
> looks like. I've worked on GnuCash's QIF importer for over a year (two?)
> and I've never seen a single example. My guess is that you will not find
> any decent explanation of this anywhere.

Looks like you haven't lifted a single finger in an effort to find out!
Indeed - do you Google at all? If you did you'd come across
http://www.google.com/search?q=qif+file+format&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=com.ubuntu:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a.
Therein are various links to descriptions of the QIF file format including a
Wikipedia entry. This is not at all what I would term "completely
undocumented" leading me to wonder how a developer supposedly working on the
Gnucash's QIF importer would be totally ignorant of such things!!! Is it
"fully documented" - I'll give you that perhaps it isn't. But surely it's
not "completely undocumented"! Indeed anybody who gives the issue an itoa of
thought would realize that you obviously have figured out what's in a QIF
file, being the guy who maintained the importer and the fact that Gnucash
does indeed import QIF files. Sure I guess the whole thing could have been
100% reversed engineered but even I knew better that that!

Even worse, I'd bet that invoices are not really exported from Quicken with
all the required information, making it impossible to import what Quicken
cannot export.

It may very well be the case that there's not enough information in a QIF
file about invoices to do anything useful with them - hence my suggestion
(for the people who wish to blame me - note this is a suggestion not a
demand) to at least give a warning if the account name contained the word
"Invoice". To me it's a better thing to do than to import stuff which will
obviously be perceived as incorrect.

However, if you would like to provide a sample QIF file containing invoices,
that might be very helpful.

I'm not really getting the feeling that you guys are taking me seriously or
that you seriously wish to work together to get things working better. Let
me know if my perception is wrong.