Imported invoices and other problems...

defaria Andrew at DeFaria.com
Sat May 2 13:35:21 EDT 2009

Charles Day wrote:
> I have read many Internet sources about the QIF format. Are you kidding
> me? I even helped write the GnuCash one. What I don't think you'll find is
> the format of INVOICES in QIF format.  For INVOICES, I believe this is
> essentially a voyage of discovery. If you can find some information on
> that, please reply with the link.

Sorry then, but you said the QIF file format is "almost completely
undocumented" - your words, not mind. How was I supposed to know you meant
only the invoice part was undocumented?

As for documentation, again, using Google and spending only a small amount
of time on this yields:

http://xl2qif.chez-alice.fr/download/QIF99.pdf

Which describes Invoices somewhat. I'm gonna assume that your a bright boy
and would have found this yourself but that you just haven't looked lately
and that this data is new. Next time, before firing off with certainty that
it doesn't exist perhaps you could take a moment to search again? Otherwise,
IMHO, you make yourself look foolish.

As I said before, I've never seen an example of a QIF file containing
invoices. If you provide one, that would be helpful.

I think we're in luck in that I see "!Type:Invoice" which clearly indicates
that this account type is of Invoice type. I thought you said you could not
tell if the transactions are invoices. They appear to be clearly marked.

I could provide you with such data. How would I get it to you? And should I
trust you with it or will I need to go through and sanitize it...