GC Windows XP 2.2.9 - how to get online balance/transactions

Norman Yeh normyeh at gmail.com
Thu May 7 16:20:51 EDT 2009

Dear GnuCash and/or Aqbanking Experts,

After hours of uphill battles, I finally made Aqbanking to successfully retrieve all the accounts from my bank, including savings, checking, money market, CD, line of credit, etc.

Following the Wiki article "Setting up OFXDirectConnect in GnuCash 2" step by step religiously, I then I associated each retrieved bank account with a GC account (register?)

Then I tried Actions->Online Actions->Get Transactions or Get Balance, in GC, account by account, and nothing worked. Two of the error messages that came up are as follows.

Error 1:
Resolving hostname "ofx.<my banks name.com>" ...
IP address is <my bank's or my own IP address>
Creating HTTPS connection
Connecting...
Sending request...
Waiting for response...
Parsing response...
Disconnecting...
Parsing response

Error 2:
Resolving hostname "ofx.<my banks name>.com" ...
IP address is <my bank's or my own IP address>
Creating HTTPS connection
Connecting...
Sending request...
Waiting for response...
Parsing response...
Disconnecting...
Parsing response
OFX: Success (The operation succeeded.)
OFX: Account not found (The specified account number does not correspond to one of the user's accounts.)
Processing response
Job gettransactions had an error: The specified account number does not correspond to one of the user's accounts.

What am I doing wrong? Pls note that I am NO accountant and am NO programmer. I have spent hours upon hours over 3 months to try to make GnuCash work, still no luck! If and when I become a USER expert, I would be happy to help with documentation. But I need to first get GnuCash to work for me :-)

PS - I was attracted to GnuCash because it is free and highly rated. All I was hoping was a convenient and easy to use program to help me track my various accounts, investments, fixed assets, and a simple business account with real-time online retrieval of actual balances, transactions and values of stocks and mutual funds. Is GnuCash the wrong choice?

Thank you!

Norman