Currency online update - broken ?

AmigaPhil AmigaPhil at ping.be
Sat May 16 19:18:34 EDT 2009

In the previous episode:

>  [ ... ]
>
>> Then I tried this from console:
>>
>> Linux1:/usr/bin # gnc-fq-dump yahoo USDEUR=X
>> Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
>>     symbol: USDEUR=X             <=== required
>>       date: 05/13/2009           <=== required
>>   currency: EUR                  <=== required
>>       last: 0.7352               <=\
>>        nav:                      <=== one of these
>>      price: 0.7352               <=/
>>   timezone:                      <=== optional
>> Linux1:/usr/bin # gnc-fq-dump yahoo EURUSD=X
>> Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
>>     symbol: EURUSD=X             <=== required
>>       date: 05/13/2009           <=== required
>>   currency: EUR                  <=== required
>>       last: 1.3599               <=\
>>        nav:                      <=== one of these
>>      price: 1.3599               <=/
>>   timezone:                      <=== optional
>>

>> Note that with BOTH commands, the returned value
>> for "currency" is "EUR" (??)
>>
>> [ ... ]
>
> Tried today to get USDEUR=X from yahoo, and the currency returned
> still is EUR.
>
> Tried also from yahoo_europe, but then the currency is completely
> missing.

After looking a the patch posted by Mike Alexander :
http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2009-May/029905.html

I'm starting to think that when GnuCash gets the online quote for
a currency, it does not make use of any other value than the extracted
exchange rate.

So unlike what gnc-fq-dump report, the "currency" field is not
required at all when retrieving currency prices; GnuCash already knows
what is the currency of the extracted exchange rate because it is
implied by its own request (from currency / to currency).  Right ?

---
I have the USD currency ticked to retrieve quotes online (and so is
the EUR currency as well).
I guess that GnuCash select which exchange rate to update based on the
default currency configured (here: EUR).  Still right ?

In the Price Editor, I have 2 exchange rates for currencies:
EUR-USD and USD-EUR.  When GnuCash updates the price in USD for 1 EUR,
I don't see the counter-part exchange rate when I browse the list of
EUR-USD quotes (with Source to something as "from:USD-EUR").
Does GnuCash check BOTH PriceDB (USD-EUR *and* EUR-USD) when trying to
find the appropriate exchange rate to use ?

AmigaPhil