Removing user:xfer-dialog in Price Editor, safe ?

AmigaPhil AmigaPhil at ping.be
Tue May 12 14:13:37 EDT 2009

Derek Atkins wrote:

>> Is it safe to remove the "user:xfer-dialog" sourced quotes in
>> Price Editor if I already have a "user:price-editor" or a
>> "Finance::Quote" quote for the same date ?
>>
>> I have to do some clean-up there because I have different
>> exchange rates for the same transactions (stocks purchase),
>> leading to some imbalanced accounts in the Balance Sheet.
>> But I fear that removing the "user:xfer-dialog" quotes could
>> break some transactions...
>>
>> Will GnuCash re-construct the transactions by picking the available
>> quotes for the transaction date ?
>
> Transactions themselves are self-contained and never refer to the
> PriceDB.  The PriceDB is ONLY used for reports and "current value"
> calculation in the Chart of Accounts.

So (to be sure I understand it right), does that mean that GnuCash
will not try to check the debit/credit of a transaction when it
involves accounts with different currencies ?

I mean:
If I transfer money from a bank EU to another bank EU, GnuCash
automatically checks if the debited amount is equal to the credited
amount; and if not, it creates a "non-solded" account with the
difference.

Now, if I transfer money from a bank EU to a bank US, GnuCash prompts
for an exchange rate, but skip/ignore the debit/credit check ?

The entered exchange rate in the transaction then appear as
"user:xfer-dialog" in the Price Editor.  What will happen if I
remove it ?  Will the Chart of Account use the nearest in time PriceDB ?

If so, then I assume it is better as a rule to only keep ONE
exchange rate per day in PriceDB.  Right ?

AmigaPhil