Removing user:xfer-dialog in Price Editor, safe ?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed May 13 09:30:57 EDT 2009

"AmigaPhil" <AmigaPhil at ping.be> writes:

> Derek Atkins wrote:
>
>>> Is it safe to remove the "user:xfer-dialog" sourced quotes in
>>> Price Editor if I already have a "user:price-editor" or a
>>> "Finance::Quote" quote for the same date ?
>>>
>>> I have to do some clean-up there because I have different
>>> exchange rates for the same transactions (stocks purchase),
>>> leading to some imbalanced accounts in the Balance Sheet.
>>> But I fear that removing the "user:xfer-dialog" quotes could
>>> break some transactions...
>>>
>>> Will GnuCash re-construct the transactions by picking the available
>>> quotes for the transaction date ?
>>
>> Transactions themselves are self-contained and never refer to the
>> PriceDB.  The PriceDB is ONLY used for reports and "current value"
>> calculation in the Chart of Accounts.
>
> So (to be sure I understand it right), does that mean that GnuCash
> will not try to check the debit/credit of a transaction when it
> involves accounts with different currencies ?

That's not at all what I said.  What I said is that the register doesn't
read any data out of the PriceDB.  I.e., The register does not use the
PriceDB.  This has nothing to do with the debit/credit of transactions.

> I mean:
> If I transfer money from a bank EU to another bank EU, GnuCash
> automatically checks if the debited amount is equal to the credited
> amount; and if not, it creates a "non-solded" account with the
> difference.

Correct.

> Now, if I transfer money from a bank EU to a bank US, GnuCash prompts
> for an exchange rate, but skip/ignore the debit/credit check ?

Not quite..  But the problem is that there's no easy way to balance
$100 with €75 "automatically".  See Peter Selinger's paper.

> The entered exchange rate in the transaction then appear as
> "user:xfer-dialog" in the Price Editor.  What will happen if I
> remove it ?  Will the Chart of Account use the nearest in time PriceDB ?

Yes.

> If so, then I assume it is better as a rule to only keep ONE
> exchange rate per day in PriceDB.  Right ?

It doesn't really matter, IMHO.