Removing user:xfer-dialog in Price Editor, safe ?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu May 14 09:35:37 EDT 2009

"AmigaPhil" <AmigaPhil at ping.be> writes:

> I'm still a bit puzzled as to how to get rid of those 0,01 euro leaps
> I have here and there in the balance (a total difference of 0,60 now).

Um....  What do you mean by "0.01 EUR leaps"?

> I see 2 probable causes: exchange rates and rounded values.

Could be...   The exchange rate only holds out to 6 decimal places.

> Here is an example of how I registered a USD stock purchase:
>
>   Bank A   -->  Bank B  -->  Stock  <--->  Commission (expense)
>   (EUR)     |   (USD)        (USD)    |   (EUR)
>             |                         |
>       exchange rate             exchange rate
>      user:xfer-dialog          user:xfer-dialog
>

> (Bank B is a temporary bank account I created for currency conversion
>  before buying stocks.)
>
> The amount from Bank A is correct as well as the amount in Commission.
> The commission amount registered in the stock account depends of the
> exchange rate used for the conversion.  My guess was that the reports
> and the Chart of Account might use different exchange rates for the
> conversion AND/OR different rounded values in euros.

I think you need another account in here.. If the stock is denominated
in USD then you need to sell it into a USD account..  And then you can
convert it back to EUR.

> The workarounds I was thinking about:
>
> 1) Ensure the same exchange rate is use for a given transaction (here
>    in 2 steps), by removing all but one quotes in PriceDB for that
>    transaction date.

I'm still not sure what your issue is.