Removing user:xfer-dialog in Price Editor, safe ?

AmigaPhil AmigaPhil at ping.be
Thu May 14 16:36:53 EDT 2009

Derek Atkins wrote:

>> I'm still a bit puzzled as to how to get rid of those 0,01 euro leaps
>> I have here and there in the balance (a total difference of 0,60 now).
>
> Um....  What do you mean by "0.01 EUR leaps"?

Well, I assumed that exchange rates and rounded values could lead to
some missing 0,0x EUR...

> I'm still not sure what your issue is.

1) The total shown for the Assets accounts in the Chart of Account is
   different than the total shown in the total bar.

2) The Balance report also show a difference.

After searching from where this difference could be comming, I realized
it start to happen after I register the purchase of USD stocks.
So I guessed it was related to exchange rates.

>> I see 2 probable causes: exchange rates and rounded values.
>
> Could be...   The exchange rate only holds out to 6 decimal places.

Hmm, 6 decimal places should be enough to convert currencies with
2 decimal precision...

>> Here is an example of how I registered a USD stock purchase:
>>
>>   Bank A   -->  Bank B  -->  Stock  <--->  Commission (expense)
>>   (EUR)     |   (USD)        (USD)    |   (EUR)
>>             |                         |
>>       exchange rate             exchange rate
>>      user:xfer-dialog          user:xfer-dialog
>>

>> (Bank B is a temporary bank account I created for currency conversion
>>  before buying stocks.)
>>
>> The amount from Bank A is correct as well as the amount in Commission.
>> The commission amount registered in the stock account depends of the
>> exchange rate used for the conversion.  My guess was that the reports
>> and the Chart of Account might use different exchange rates for the
>> conversion AND/OR different rounded values in euros.
>
> I think you need another account in here.. If the stock is denominated
> in USD then you need to sell it into a USD account..  And then you can
> convert it back to EUR.

Yes.
But then, because the commission amount is going to an asset (bank) account
instead of an expense account, the Advanced Portfolio will not consider it
as a brokerage fee anymore.

>> The workarounds I was thinking about:
>>
>> 1) Ensure the same exchange rate is use for a given transaction (here
>>    in 2 steps), by removing all but one quotes in PriceDB for that
>>    transaction date.
>>
>> 2) Add an extra decimal for registered ammounts in USD (can this be
>>    done on a per-account level ?)
>>
>> I can edit the "Bank B" account to use a 1/1000 USD precision, but
>> then, the USD values in the Stock account remains with 2 decimals.
>> And yet, I'm not even sure it will affect the precision of the
>> currency conversion at all...

I did it.
I removed all but one price for USD in the Price Editor.
I changed the "Bank B" account to use 3 decimal places for USD.
I recalculated by hand the convertion for EUR-USD for my USD stocks.

In the end, I still have a difference in the balance.  :-(

So I was wrong...

Next, I'll try to remove the "Bank B" intermediate...
(I don't remind why I set it that way; probably because I followed
an example from the docs.)

AmigaPhil