Removing user:xfer-dialog in Price Editor, safe ?

AmigaPhil AmigaPhil at ping.be
Thu May 14 18:33:08 EDT 2009

I wrote:

>>> The amount from Bank A is correct as well as the amount in Commission.
>>> The commission amount registered in the stock account depends of the
>>> exchange rate used for the conversion.  My guess was that the reports
>>> and the Chart of Account might use different exchange rates for the
>>> conversion AND/OR different rounded values in euros.
>>
>> I think you need another account in here.. If the stock is denominated
>> in USD then you need to sell it into a USD account..  And then you can
>> convert it back to EUR.
>
> Yes.
> But then, because the commission amount is going to an asset (bank) account
> instead of an expense account, the Advanced Portfolio will not consider it
> as a brokerage fee anymore.

Me stupid.  :-°

All I have to do is to create a separate "Commission" account (Expense)
in USD.

> Next, I'll try to remove the "Bank B" intermediate...
> (I don't remind why I set it that way; probably because I followed
> an example from the docs.)

I remember now.  Quoted from the Concepts Guide:
 http://svn.gnucash.org/docs/guide/currency_purchase1.html#currency_purchase3

> 10.6.2. Purchasing foreign stocks
>
> This example shows how stock can be purchased in any currency by
> entering the transaction in the register of the cash account used to
> make payment. It is also possible to enter the purchase in the stock
> account's register, but proceed with caution! When doing it that way,
> the stock is assumed to be priced in the currency of the stock account's
> parent.

So I'm going to ensure that any incoming/outgoing money in a stock account
in USD will be coming from (and going to) another account in USD as well.

AmigaPhil