Reports Account Selection

Colin Scott gnucash at double-bars.net
Sat May 16 06:42:00 EDT 2009

I believe I have mentioned this before, but I find one of the more
mysterious bits of Gnucash is the account selection process when setting
up a report.  Mainly my problem relates to the inconsistent and entirely
non-intuitive way the mouse and keys work when dealing with the accounts
tree.  So, I have a series of questions.

1.  Is there a keystroke  or mouse-click to expand/collapse all nodes of
the accounts tree?

2.  Is there  a keystroke or mouse-click to expand/collapse all nodes in
the sub-tree under the current node?

3.  Is there a keystroke or mouse-click to select/de-select the sub-tree
under the current node?

If the answer to any of the above is "no", then may I suggest that urgent
consideration be given to their implementation? (I guess you could forget
point 1 if you implement point 2!)

Next, we come to what happens when trying to select those bits of the
accounts tree to include in the report.  I find that keystrokes and
mouse-clicks that seem to be working fine will suddenly collapse the
entire tree and de-select those bits already selected.  FOr example,
having selected a number of nodes, pressing the down-arrow or up-arrow
keys can de-select everything.

Basically, this whole aspect of reports seems a total mess - at least, it
is on this 'ere Windows installation! So far as I can see it either needs
some heavy-duty documentation (I haven't been able to find anything
useful in the manual), or - better - some serious re-implementation.

Any thoughts or comments?

Colin