Using Downloads of Accounts

marcus.wolschon at googlemail.com marcus.wolschon at googlemail.com
Tue May 19 03:09:36 EDT 2009

On Mon, 18 May 2009 14:27:37 -0700, Robert Smits <bob at rsmits.ca> wrote:
> I'm finding very little information at my local credit union about
> downloading
> my account activity, (although I've sent a request for more info),
although

> when I'm interactively online, it says I can download accounts activity
in
> the following formats:
>
> Download to Quicken
> Download to Quickbooks
> Download to Microsoft Money
> Download to Simply Accounting
> Download to Comma Delimited Text
> Download to PDF

> With these options, which one would give me the least amount of trouble
> import into Gnucash?

Comma Delimited Text (CSV) is the only one in this
list that makes sense. Note that CSV is not CSV.
One can have "accountid;sum;currency;description" while
another bank could use something like 'date,time,"description",sum,balance'
so there can only be a csv-import for the format of one
bank, not a general one unless it can be configured to
match the format of that one bank.

> Is there a recommended url for documentation on how to accomplish this?

That depends on what program you want to make the import
with or what language you want to use to write your import.