gnc-fq-dump isn't happy with Finance::Quote (Mac OS X, MacPorts)

Jim DeLaHunt from.gnucash at jdlh.com
Thu May 21 03:36:37 EDT 2009

At 12:10 AM -0700 5/20/09, Jim DeLaHunt wrote:
>Hi, folks:
>
>I'm trying to install Finance::Quote per the instructions at
>"8.6.3.1. Installing Finance::Quote":
><http://svn.gnucash.org/docs/guide/invest-stockprice1.html#invest-stockprice-auto2>
>Then I checked the installation, with gnc-fq-dump. It wasn't happy:
>
>[Macintosh-4:/opt/local/bin] jdlh% gnc-fq-dump
>/opt/local/bin/gnc-fq-dump cannot find all the Perl modules needed to run.
>You need to install the following Perl modules:
>   Finance::Quote
>   HTML::TableExtract
>   Crypt::SSLeay
>   Date::Manip
>Use your system's package manager to install them,
>or run 'gnc-fq-update' as root.

And the answer appears to be: a bug in gnc-fq-update as supplied in
the MacPorts version of gnucash. It invokes Apple's copy of perl,
with Apple's libraries. The other gnc-fq-* tools invoke the Perl and
libraries installed by MacPorts.

% head -1 gnc-fq-*
==> gnc-fq-check <==
#!/opt/local/bin/perl -w

==> gnc-fq-dump <==
#!/usr/bin/perl

==> gnc-fq-helper <==
#!/opt/local/bin/perl -w

==> gnc-fq-update <==
#!/opt/local/bin/perl -w

So, I patched gnc-fq-dump to make its first line
   #!/opt/local/bin/perl -w
instead of
   #!/usr/bin/perl

Now gnc-fq-dump is happy.

I'll file a MacPorts bug report against gnucash about this.
    --Jim