gnucash-2.3 + sql backend

Klaus Dahlke klaus.dahlke at gmx.de
Mon May 25 09:48:52 EDT 2009

Hi,
I'd like to test gnucash-2.3, in particular the sql backend (with Postgres). I reading some older post I figured out to use --enable-dbi to build the proper backend functionality.

gnucash-2.3.0 compiled fine (gentoo, amd64).

a) sqlite3 works out of the box. But reading seems a bit slow (the file is ~ 7MB)

b) With mysql some messages are displayed during creation of the database:

1) after entering all the necessary data (host, db name, user, password (it is in clear text!)) the question comes up: do you want to create the database? After agreeing to that,

2) a warning comes up like: the file mysql://host:dbname:user:password exists. Do you want to overwrite?

When pressing okay, the following warning comes up:

3) The server at URL mysql://localhost:dbname:user:password experienced an error or encountered bad or corrupt data.

But nevertheless, tables and the relevant entries are created. When trying to read to so saved data e.g. via
gnucash mysql://locahost:dbname/user/password the CPU runs at 100% and nothing happens. Only a restart of mysql rectifies the problem.

c) When trying to save to a postgres database the following error comes up:

Can't parse the URL postgres://localhost:dbname:user:.

Especially for the postgresql backend: is there a workaround already available?

Thanks and best regards,
Klaus