How do I get GnuCash 2.2.9?

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Wed May 27 17:51:55 EDT 2009

forgot to post my reply to the list

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Tommy Trussell <tommy.trussell at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, May 27, 2009 at 4:49 PM
Subject: Re: How do I get GnuCash 2.2.9?
To: "Maf. King" <maf at chilwell.net>

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 3:58 PM, Maf. King <maf at chilwell.net> wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 May 2009 11:53:53 Flynn, Oweson O wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> I was running Gnucash  2.2.9 on Ubuntu 8.10 very successfully!
>>
> <SNIP>
>>

>> I'd appreciate any input on how to get back to version 2.2.9!
>>

>> Regards
>> Oweson Flynn
>>

> Hi,
>
> I don't use debian or derivatives, but ISTR that you have to "enable universe"
> before doing the apt-get stuff.
>
> Quite how you would do that is beyond my ken, though.
>
> HTH,
> Maf.

Under the more recent versions of Ubuntu, I believe the "Applications
--> Add Remove" tool will automatically prompt you to enable the
Universe repository when you search for items there. If that doesn't
work, go to System --> Administration --> Software Sources and choose
the checkbox that says "Community-maintained Open Source software
(universe)"

UNFORTUNATELY, even after enabling "universe," you will not be able to
get GnuCash 2.2.9 because the latest version in Debian (and Ubunutu)
is still 2.2.6.

If you were using 2.2.9 under Ubuntu, either you downloaded and
compiled the package yourself, or you found an unofficial (possibly
unsafe) Debian / Ubuntu package somewhere.

I know of an unofficial site called getdeb.net which has a 2.2.9
package, but besides there being no guarantee that the package is safe
and properly constructed, one user there complains that the package
will not install under Ubuntu 9.04 "Jaunty."