Software Problems

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Thu May 28 04:38:49 EDT 2009

On Wednesday 27 May 2009, Charles Day wrote:
> What sort method are you using in that register? If the two rows that
> you've highlighted were swapped, everything would be correct.

That's interesting...

I used to have this in an older version of GnuCash (2.2.4, 2.2.5 ?). In my
case it happened when matching my bank account registers with my bank's
receipts.

Most of the bank transactions were already in the account, but in a different
order than the receipts. If I would reorder the entries by adding a
transaction number, the balances wouldn't update (it didn't trigger a
recalculation of the balance ?). However, if I also changed the date for that
transaction, eg add one day, substract one day, the balance would be
recalculated. Similarly, closing the account and reopening it, would
recalculate the balance correctly in my case.

I have not experienced this in more recent releases, so I never bothered to
bring it up on the mailing lists. For the record, I'm now running GnuCash
2.2.9.

Geert