GC 2.3.7 in Karmic Kubuntu

Stephen R. Besch sbesch at buffalo.edu
Wed Nov 4 12:06:42 EST 2009

That's odd. Usually sudo is not required for 'make' - unless you've got
the permissions on your source directory wrong - perhaps checking out
using sudo, or running ./configure as root. You (the person making the
build) should own all files in the source tree and have at least rw
access to all those files. I would consider doing a suitable "chown -r"
on your source tree.

On the other hand, the 'make install' will require sudo if you install
to a system directory. As I understand things, you can also specify a
"prefix" to have GC install in a folder tree that you own, in which case
sudo won't be needed at all.

Stephen Besch