Recondiling Accounts

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 4 21:57:09 EST 2009

Brian--

If you keep in mind that you are reconciling your books to the bank's statement, it might help. Basically, when you reconcile your account, you put in the bank statement closing balance and then start matching your entered transactions with those on the statement.

Any items in your books that aren't in the statement remain unreconciled until they appear in a bank statement. These are your pending transactions. In your described situation, the $100 check would not be marked in the reconcile window, and the reconciled balance and the statement balance should be the same (that is, a difference of $0).

HTH,
David