Possible bug with Cash Flow Report

Anthony Nelson tonyn at openlearning.com
Fri Nov 6 15:24:13 EST 2009

Hi James,

I'm sure you are correct, there probably is a fundamental accounting
principal I am missing.  Weeks ago I read the wiki you kindly pointed me to
and I guess I still don't understand it.  But I'm not expecting the folks
here to teach me accounting.

Even so:
When I deposited $5000 into my check account that seems to me like a cash
transaction, cash flowed into my checking account.
When I paid my credit card bill with a check that in turn paid for an
expense that was tied to the Loan From Shareholder account.  Cash flowed out
of my checking account.
When I cut a check to myself for the balance of the debt, cash flowed out of
my checking account.

Anyway, that is my simplistic (and obviously wrong) understanding.  The next
time I meet with my CPA I'll summarize the points you all have made.  I'm
sure he will understand them and be able to instruct me on what, if
anything, I should do.

Many thanks,
Tony

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 12:04 PM, James Kerr <
jim at jkerr82508.free-online.co.uk> wrote:

> On Friday 06 November 2009 Anthony Nelson wrote:
>
> > Ok,  I re-ran the Cash Flow report with only the Loan From
> > Shareholder account selected.  I've attached a screen shot of the
> > report.  It looks, to me at least, the way it should showing $5000
> > in and $5000 out.   But, of course, none of the other cash flow
> > elements are displayed.
> >

> But "Loan from Shareholder" is NOT cash. At least not by any
> definition that I have ever seen. By "selecting" that account in
> GNUcash's Cash Flow Statement options, you are defining that account
> as being cash. You apparently do not clearly understand what a cash
> flow statement is. It is a statement of the *changes* in cash and
> near-cash accounts (i.e.liquid asset accounts). You may find this page
> informative:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cash_flow_statement
>
> Jim

-- Tony